What is involved in Commercial off-the-shelf
Find out what the related areas are that Commercial off-the-shelf connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Commercial off-the-shelf thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Commercial off-the-shelf journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Commercial off-the-shelf leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Commercial off-the-shelf related domains to cover and 93 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Commercial off-the-shelf, Commercial software, Commodity off-the-shelf, Competitive procurement, Creeping featurism, Custom software, Federal Acquisition Regulation, Federal government of the United States, Government off-the-shelf, IEC 62304, Independent software vendor, Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor, Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, Medical device, Non-recurring engineering, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 3 cluster, Rube Goldberg machine, SANS Institute, Software development, Software development process, Software of unknown pedigree, Sole source, Sony Computer Entertainment, Spare part, Supply chain cyber security, US Air Force, United States Department of Homeland Security, Vendor lock-in:
Commercial off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Understand Commercial off-the-shelf issues and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Commercial off-the-shelf.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Is sufficient schedule time allocated to allow for dependencies on commercial off-the-shelf cots product deliveries?
– Is Commercial off-the-shelf Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Commercial software Critical Criteria:
Sort Commercial software quality and innovate what needs to be done with Commercial software.
– In the case of a Commercial off-the-shelf project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Commercial off-the-shelf project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Commercial off-the-shelf project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How do we measure improved Commercial off-the-shelf service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we maintain Commercial off-the-shelfs Integrity?
Commodity off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Commodity off-the-shelf management and probe Commodity off-the-shelf strategic alliances.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Commercial off-the-shelf?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Commercial off-the-shelf leader?
– What are the long-term Commercial off-the-shelf goals?
Competitive procurement Critical Criteria:
Drive Competitive procurement risks and achieve a single Competitive procurement view and bringing data together.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Commercial off-the-shelf?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Commercial off-the-shelf processes?
Creeping featurism Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Creeping featurism goals and observe effective Creeping featurism.
– How will you know that the Commercial off-the-shelf project has been successful?
– Are there recognized Commercial off-the-shelf problems?
Custom software Critical Criteria:
Derive from Custom software management and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Custom software.
– Think of your Commercial off-the-shelf project. what are the main functions?
– What threat is Commercial off-the-shelf addressing?
– What is Effective Commercial off-the-shelf?
Federal Acquisition Regulation Critical Criteria:
Meet over Federal Acquisition Regulation visions and gather Federal Acquisition Regulation models .
– Is there any existing Commercial off-the-shelf governance structure?
– Are there Commercial off-the-shelf Models?
Federal government of the United States Critical Criteria:
Define Federal government of the United States management and look at the big picture.
– Can we add value to the current Commercial off-the-shelf decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– When a Commercial off-the-shelf manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are the usability implications of Commercial off-the-shelf actions?
Government off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Government off-the-shelf failures and do something to it.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Commercial off-the-shelf project manager?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Commercial off-the-shelf that make it risky?
IEC 62304 Critical Criteria:
Track IEC 62304 strategies and reduce IEC 62304 costs.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Commercial off-the-shelf objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– In a project to restructure Commercial off-the-shelf outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Which Commercial off-the-shelf goals are the most important?
Independent software vendor Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Independent software vendor strategies and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Independent software vendor.
– Will Commercial off-the-shelf have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we keep improving Commercial off-the-shelf?
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor Critical Criteria:
Check Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor issues and grade techniques for implementing Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor controls.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Commercial off-the-shelf project?
– Does the Commercial off-the-shelf task fit the clients priorities?
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II management and overcome Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Why are Commercial off-the-shelf skills important?
– What is our Commercial off-the-shelf Strategy?
Medical device Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Medical device governance and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Medical device projects.
– How do we Identify specific Commercial off-the-shelf investment and emerging trends?
– How can we improve Commercial off-the-shelf?
Non-recurring engineering Critical Criteria:
Analyze Non-recurring engineering risks and explain and analyze the challenges of Non-recurring engineering.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Commercial off-the-shelf requirements in detail?
– Are we Assessing Commercial off-the-shelf and Risk?
PlayStation 3 Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over PlayStation 3 strategies and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Commercial off-the-shelf, including any consulting or professional services?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Commercial off-the-shelf opportunities costing us money?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Commercial off-the-shelf move?
PlayStation 3 cluster Critical Criteria:
Reorganize PlayStation 3 cluster outcomes and grade techniques for implementing PlayStation 3 cluster controls.
– What is our formula for success in Commercial off-the-shelf ?
– What are current Commercial off-the-shelf Paradigms?
Rube Goldberg machine Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Rube Goldberg machine tasks and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Rube Goldberg machine.
– Do those selected for the Commercial off-the-shelf team have a good general understanding of what Commercial off-the-shelf is all about?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Commercial off-the-shelf project?
SANS Institute Critical Criteria:
Refer to SANS Institute visions and sort SANS Institute activities.
– To what extent does management recognize Commercial off-the-shelf as a tool to increase the results?
– Have you identified your Commercial off-the-shelf key performance indicators?
Software development Critical Criteria:
Mix Software development goals and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Software development.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Can you afford to lock your business into a rigid long-term project where the cost of change grows exponentially?
– How do agile methods support the principles of Agile Manifesto when using in-house software development methods?
– Can research really be relegated to a series of steps that when performed in sequence result in a new product?
– What are the best software metrics for discerning Agile (vs. non-Agile) process effects on teams artifacts?
– Is our organization clear about the relationship between agile software development and DevOps?
– What if we substitute prototyping for user interface screens on paper?
– How good are the designers and programmers in the development team?
– How do you develop requirements for agile software development?
– Have we developed requirements for agile software development?
– what is the minimum we can do to produce a quality product?
– Do we use kanban, and know how it compares to scrum?
– What does software development maturity really mean?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– How Extreme Does Extreme Programming Have to Be?
– Will the team be populated by stakeholders?
– Detaching: when does it break down?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Software development process strategies and catalog Software development process activities.
– How can you negotiate Commercial off-the-shelf successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How likely is the current Commercial off-the-shelf plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are specific Commercial off-the-shelf Rules to follow?
Software of unknown pedigree Critical Criteria:
Confer re Software of unknown pedigree risks and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Software of unknown pedigree decisions.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Commercial off-the-shelf project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Commercial off-the-shelf project lifecycle?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Commercial off-the-shelf strengthening and reform actually originate?
Sole source Critical Criteria:
Check Sole source planning and explain and analyze the challenges of Sole source.
– What are internal and external Commercial off-the-shelf relations?
– How to Secure Commercial off-the-shelf?
Sony Computer Entertainment Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Sony Computer Entertainment governance and spearhead techniques for implementing Sony Computer Entertainment.
– Think about the people you identified for your Commercial off-the-shelf project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do we manage Commercial off-the-shelf Knowledge Management (KM)?
Spare part Critical Criteria:
Mix Spare part outcomes and pay attention to the small things.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Commercial off-the-shelf ?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Commercial off-the-shelf been identified and analyzed?
– How to deal with Commercial off-the-shelf Changes?
Supply chain cyber security Critical Criteria:
Adapt Supply chain cyber security planning and work towards be a leading Supply chain cyber security expert.
US Air Force Critical Criteria:
Confer re US Air Force results and overcome US Air Force skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Commercial off-the-shelf activities?
– How much does Commercial off-the-shelf help?
United States Department of Homeland Security Critical Criteria:
Focus on United States Department of Homeland Security governance and gather practices for scaling United States Department of Homeland Security.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Commercial off-the-shelf? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Can we do Commercial off-the-shelf without complex (expensive) analysis?
Vendor lock-in Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Vendor lock-in adoptions and catalog what business benefits will Vendor lock-in goals deliver if achieved.
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Do you see areas in your domain or across domains where vendor lock-in is a potential risk?
– Why is Commercial off-the-shelf important for you now?
– What is an example of cloud vendor lock-in?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Commercial off-the-shelf Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Commercial off-the-shelf External links:
[PPT]COMMERCIAL OFF-THE-SHELF (COTS)
Commercial Off-the-Shelf Software 2012 (COTS 2012)
commercial off-the-shelf – Wiktionary
Commercial software External links:
TCR | Commercial Software Submissions
Commercial Software Assessment Guideline | …
E-file approved commercial software providers for …
Commodity off-the-shelf External links:
COTS abbreviation stands for Commodity Off-The-Shelf
Competitive procurement External links:
RFQ #15-001: Competitive Procurement Contracts: NYSED
RFP #18-013: Competitive Procurement Contracts: NYSED
Competitive Procurement of Legal Services – Governor Tom Wolf
Creeping featurism External links:
creeping featurism – catb.org
Hacker Dictionary :: Terms :: creeping featurism
Custom software External links:
Devbridge – Custom software design and development
The Nerdery | Custom Software Design and Development
LeanDog – Custom Software Development & Consulting | …
Federal Acquisition Regulation External links:
[PDF]The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR): Answers …
48 CFR Chapter 1 – FEDERAL ACQUISITION REGULATION …
Government off-the-shelf External links:
GOTS abbreviation stands for Government off-the-shelf
“Government off-the-shelf” on Revolvy.com
IEC 62304 External links:
Easing IEC 62304 certification for medical devices | EE Times
Simplifying IEC 62304 Compliance for Developers | MDDI …
IEC 62304:2006 | IEC Webstore | cyber security, smart city
Independent software vendor External links:
Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Partners | Five9
Independent Software Vendor (ISV) – ISCORP
ISV (independent software vendor) – Gartner IT Glossary
Medical device External links:
The 10x Medical Device Conference, April 2018, …
Home – Mesh Medical Device News Desk
Medical Device Design & Manufacturing & Outsourcing | Integer
Non-recurring engineering External links:
Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) and Tooling Costs
PlayStation 3 External links:
25 Best PlayStation 3 Games – Metacritic
GameStop: Buy Call of Duty: World at War, Activision, PlayStation 3, Find release dates, customer reviews, previews and screenshots.
Call of Duty: World at War for PlayStation 3 | GameStop
PlayStation 3 cluster External links:
MD5 Algorithm Hacked By Playstation 3 Cluster | Gearfuse
EPFL PlayStation 3 cluster
PlayStation 3 cluster – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/PlayStation 3 cluster
Rube Goldberg machine External links:
Past Rube Goldberg Machine Contest Winners – Purdue University
SANS Institute External links:
SANS Institute, EMEA (@SANSEMEA) | Twitter
SANS Institute (@SANSInstitute) | Twitter
Software development process External links:
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software of unknown pedigree External links:
SOUP – Software of Unknown Pedigree | AcronymFinder
Software of Unknown Pedigree – How is Software of …
Software of unknown pedigree – WOW.com
Sole source External links:
[PDF]SOLE SOURCE QUESTIONS.doc-05 – NelsonLink?
http://nl.tncc.edu/documents/forms/other/SOLE SOURCE QUESTIONS.pdf
“Sole Source Justification Memorandum” by Donna …
RCW 39.26.140: Sole source contracts.
Sony Computer Entertainment External links:
[PDF]SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT, INC.,  …
Spare part External links:
Accessories and Spare Part for Ninebot by Segway Products
AODD Pumps, Spare Parts and Accessories | Wilden Store
Buy your accessories and spare parts from the T-fal shop
US Air Force External links:
US Air Force NCO – Home | Facebook
Welcome | US Air Force Academy AOG & Endowment
US Air Force Academy (Official) – Home | Facebook
Vendor lock-in External links:
What is vendor lock-in? – Definition from WhatIs.com