What is involved in Release Management
Find out what the related areas are that Release Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Release Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Release Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Release Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Release Management related domains to cover and 175 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Release Management, Agile software development, Application release automation, Build automation, Change management, Configuration management, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Continuous testing, DevOps, DevOps toolchain, Enterprise release management, IT portfolio management, Software, Software development process, Software engineering, Software release, Software testing, Test plan, Web application, WinOps:
Release Management Critical Criteria:
Probe Release Management engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Release Management projects.
– Information/context awareness: how can a developer/participant restore awareness in project activity after having been offline for a few hours, days, or weeks?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– What is, really, the difference between development and innovation, i.e. how big or radical do changes have to be to warrant the label innovation ?
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– What theoretical and methodological tools are available to us as researchers to study such aspects of Release Management?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– What are our needs in relation to Release Management skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Does it Eliminate lengthy email threads trying to achieve change approval?
– Is it possible to get a quality product out of this design process?
– What do we know about proximity and distance in work groups?
– Do you have existing automation or deployment tools?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– When should technology be recycled & re-used ?
– What can a cms do for an open source project?
– Who must complete a release management plan?
– what is NEXT FOR RELEASE MANAGEMENT AND DEVOPS?
– How do we keep improving Release Management?
– Can you Reduce your release window by 90%?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Agile software development decisions and triple focus on important concepts of Agile software development relationship management.
– The sprint backlog is the list of work the team must address during the next sprint. The list is derived by selecting stories/features from the top of the product backlog until the team feels they have enough work to fill the sprint. Is this done by the team asking, Can we also do this?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How could agile approach be utilized in other parts and functions of an organization, for instance in marketing?
– Are there cultural or organizational issues that may affect the system development?
– To what level of detail will you capture the requirements, if at all?
– Will the organizational culture support new values of the agile team?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What is your favorite project managment interview question?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– what is the minimum we can do to produce a quality product?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– Is Internet-speed software development different?
– What challenges do teams face when scaling agile?
– How large is the system that is being developed?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– When should we not use it?
– Have we Adopted Agile?
Application release automation Critical Criteria:
Track Application release automation engagements and develop and take control of the Application release automation initiative.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Release Management delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Release Management objectives?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Release Management requirements in detail?
Build automation Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Build automation outcomes and plan concise Build automation education.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Release Management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is there any existing Release Management governance structure?
– What is our Release Management Strategy?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Adapt Change management outcomes and probe Change management strategic alliances.
– Workforce Change Management How do you prepare your workforce for changing capability and capacity needs? How do you manage your workforce, its needs, and your needs to ensure continuity, prevent workforce reductions, and minimize the impact of workforce reductions, if they do become necessary? How do you prepare for and manage periods of workforce growth?
– The objective of Change Management is to ensure that standard methods and procedures are used, such that changes can be dealt with quickly, with the lowest possible impact on service quality. all changes should be traceable, in other words, one can answer the question, what changed? Do we do this?
– Do you have formalized processes for organizational change management within your organization?
– What are some concrete ways to help executives understand the value of change management?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– Do project management and Change Management look the same for every initiative?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– How pro-active is the Organizational Change Management Plan?
– When and how is Change Management used on a project?
– Who are the leaders in a Change Management process?
– What is workplace Change Management?
– What is Change Management?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Align Configuration management strategies and summarize a clear Configuration management focus.
– Are structures, systems and components within the CM Program tested periodically to determine if they are still capable of meeting design requirements?
– A Configuration Management database (cmdb) can contain different configuration items (cis). Which items would not normally be regarded as a ci?
– Application sizing is a technique used by capacity management. why is application sizing important?
– Are the design requirements for your facility or program established, documented and maintained?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all identified requirements allocated to software components?
– Can we answer questions like: Are compliance and audit checks performed on a regular basis?
– Are the scm procedures for noting the change, recording it, and reporting being followed?
– Does the source-code inventory report list the products to be delivered to the customer?
– Can we answer questions like: Has the change specified been made without modifications?
– Can we answer questions like: Are data file references within components correct?
– How do engineering changes interface with the configuration management process?
– Can we answer questions like: Is the appropriate component version specified?
– Has a post-implementation assessment of your CM Program been conducted?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– How and when are baselines created and physically controlled?
– How do we improve the way that we use version control?
– Who assumes responsibility for accuracy?
– What is configuration management?
– What should be in the plan?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Generalize Continuous delivery quality and define Continuous delivery competency-based leadership.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– How do we know that any Release Management analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Release Management?
– Have all basic functions of Release Management been defined?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Continuous integration adoptions and differentiate in coordinating Continuous integration.
– How can you negotiate Release Management successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Continuous testing Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Continuous testing results and oversee Continuous testing management by competencies.
– What vendors make products that address the Release Management needs?
– Can we do Release Management without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How can you measure Release Management in a systematic way?
DevOps Critical Criteria:
See the value of DevOps issues and know what your objective is.
– DevOps needs both a strong definition and a set of standard success measures, but how does one measure improved cooperation between development and operations or alignment?
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– If you would like to hire an Architect who has experience with all the three (Data, Application, Interface) roles, which area will get the most priority?
– When we operate 24x7x365 and cannot have downtime or slow performance. How long does it take us to restore the service in the users eyes?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Release Management activities?
– What are the major obstacles to implementing a DevOps strategy in your organization?
– Once a code change is committed, how long does it take to reach the customer?
– Has the wider business seen any measurable benefits from implementing DevOps?
– Reason on Declarative vs. Imperative Models for Patterns-when to use what?
– What role do your security and compliance teams have in DevOps projects?
– What are your organizations reasons for outsourcing DevOps services?
– What business outcomes do you expect DevOps practices to deliver?
– Can the customer measure project status at any point in time?
– What are your two biggest risks for DevOps implementation?
– What benefits have you seen from implementing DevOps?
– Do you have a dedicated DevOps group?
– Do we really need DevOps?
– What are the constraints?
– Would this be useful?
DevOps toolchain Critical Criteria:
Examine DevOps toolchain quality and maintain DevOps toolchain for success.
– Consider your own Release Management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Will Release Management deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How would one define Release Management leadership?
Enterprise release management Critical Criteria:
Mine Enterprise release management issues and reduce Enterprise release management costs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Release Management. How do we gain traction?
– What are all of our Release Management domains and what do they do?
– Are we Assessing Release Management and Risk?
IT portfolio management Critical Criteria:
Transcribe IT portfolio management governance and drive action.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Release Management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Release Management activities?
Software Critical Criteria:
Match Software failures and handle a jump-start course to Software.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– What are the potential areas of conflict that can arise between organizations IT and marketing functions around the deployment and use of business intelligence and data analytics software services and what is the best way to resolve them?
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project accessible and in what modalities, scope, licenses (e.g. licencing framework for research and education, embargo periods, commercial exploitation, etc.)?
– What changes should be made to the design of future applications software, infrastructure software, and hardware to match the needs and opportunities of cloud computing?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Does your software provide roleand group-based security options that allow business users to securely create and publish their work?
– How do you take an approach like CMM that is heavily about management control and measurement and make it light on its feet?
– Can you afford to lock your business into a rigid long-term project where the cost of change grows exponentially?
– Can agile project management be adopted by industries other than software development?
– What if any is the difference between Lean and Agile Software Development?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is your LMS integrated to your current enterprise software?
– Is your software easy for IT to manage and upgrade?
– If you used Agile in the past, but do not now, why?
– Is the software system efficient?
– What about large teams?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Software development process goals and create Software development process explanations for all managers.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Release Management?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Software engineering strategies and interpret which customers can’t participate in Software engineering because they lack skills.
– Does Release Management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Who sets the Release Management standards?
Software release Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Software release planning and find out.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Release Management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What threat is Release Management addressing?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Start Software testing governance and learn.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Release Management process?
– Does our organization need more Release Management education?
– Why are Release Management skills important?
Test plan Critical Criteria:
Focus on Test plan risks and look in other fields.
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
– How do we go about Comparing Release Management approaches/solutions?
– Does Release Management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Web application Critical Criteria:
X-ray Web application goals and perfect Web application conflict management.
– I keep a record of names; surnames and emails of individuals in a web application. Do these data come under the competence of GDPR? And do both the operator of the web application and I need to treat them that way?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Release Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Release Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are my web application portfolios and databases ready to migrate to the Windows Azure platform?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Release Management project?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– How do you approach building a large web application?
– How does IT exploit a Web Application?
WinOps Critical Criteria:
Review WinOps failures and differentiate in coordinating WinOps.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Release Management in a volatile global economy?
– Who needs to know about Release Management ?
– How do we Lead with Release Management in Mind?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Release Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Release Management External links:
Product Release Management | How to build and deliver …
What is Release Management? | Release Management
Agile software development External links:
Scrum Overview: Agile Software Development
8 Benefits of Agile Software Development | Segue …
What is Agile Software Development? | Agile Alliance
Application release automation External links:
Application Release Automation | ARCAD Software
Application Release Automation (ARA) – Gartner IT Glossary
Application Release Automation – CA Technologies
Build automation External links:
Release Management and Build Automation with TFS …
Software Build Automation with Jenkins – YouTube
Change management External links:
[PDF]Organizational Change Management Readiness …
All Management Is Change Management – Harvard Business Review
[PDF]Change Management Best Practices Guide
Configuration management External links:
[PDF]Document: Configuration Management Plan – …
http://In software engineering, software configuration management (SCM or S/W CM) is the task of tracking and controlling changes in the software, part of the larger cross-disciplinary field of configuration management. SCM practices include revision control and the establishment of baselines.
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Continuous delivery External links:
What is Continuous Delivery? | DevOps – Visual Studio
Continuous Delivery Pipeline – Scaled Agile Framework
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous integration in .NET (eBook, 2011) …
Continuous testing External links:
FAQs for continuous testing | Microsoft Docs
Continuous testing of mobile and web apps – Experitest
A guide to continuous testing tools – SD Times
DevOps External links:
DevOps Tutorial | Introduction to DevOps | Edureka
Azure DevOps Projects | Microsoft Azure
Enterprise release management External links:
Plutora Enterprise Release Management Tool – Plutora…
Enterprise Release Management | Deployment …
COT – CIO-101 Enterprise Release Management Policy
IT portfolio management External links:
IT Portfolio Management Conference – 10times
Software development process External links:
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
During which phase of the software development process …
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Software Engineering | University of Wisconsin-Platteville
Software release External links:
ADP Versionless Software Release Notes
Identifying Your Oracle Database Software Release
ServiceNow Software Release — Kingston | ServiceNow …
Software testing External links:
Software Testing Strategies and Best Practices | Atlassian
Software Testing for Professionals | Visual Studio
Software Testing Certification Information – ASTQB …
Test plan External links:
2017 NCLEX-PN Test Plan | NCSBN
[DOC]Test Plan (Unit and Integration) Template
[DOC]TEST PLAN – California
http://www.bestpractices.ca.gov/sysacq/documents/Test Plan Template.doc
Web application External links:
TIRF REMS Access Web Application
INSPI² Web Application – Safeguard Properties
Logon – SAP Web Application Server
WinOps External links:
WinOps – Meetup
WinOps London 2017 | WinOps.Org
WinOps 2017 Sam Guckenheimer – Moving 70,000 …